Meet The Boss…cont
Now meet Prof. Gary Hamel. A passionate management thinking guru
I first came across his work back in 2000 with his book – Leading The Revolution and was so inspired I made it compulsory reading for my management team. His most recent book The Future of Management is also revolutionary and a must read if you still are thinking like a Boss!
Take for example:
EMPLOYEE CAPABILITY HIERARCHY…in order from good to great!
- Obedience – Staff that show up, do what they’re told and follow the rules
- Diligence – hardworking, stay till the work is done, generally are focussed
- Intellect – staff who take responsibility for there own skills, constantly learning, and following best practices
- Initiative – employees who look to solve problems, ask how can I help or do more
- Creativity – Employees who lay awake at night worrying about how we can learn from other industries, or what can I do for the greater good of the organisation
- Passion – Employees who bring energy and life to the organisation, for whom the job has spiritual meaning
Lets examine the first three – Obedience, Diligence, Intellect – The Boss operates well here…do as I say, don’t deviate from the plan, this is way we do things around here. Those same three skill sets also work really well in well defined mature market sectors example where ink cartridges sell printers or within government bureaucracies. But here’s the thing …as I said in my last post that’s not the problem modern management is now wrestling with. Especially because the Web and our new interconnected world, enable these same three skill sets to be freely available for a fraction of the cost from places like Bangalore, Manila or Guangzhou.
It is a tragedy, that most Bosses I know haven’t a clue or a mindset that will enable them to adapt or step up to the plate and think and act like a Leader. Worse most seemed trapped in a time warp and are more comfortable operating like the Soviet Union than an exciting startup in Silicon Valley (or is my wish for Logan S/E Qld) – where INITIATIVE, CREATIVITY and PASSION are the future and holy grail for any business or enterprise if they are really to become innovative and succeed!
So, it will come as no surprise to those who know me that, the 1968 classic song from Lennon (John) …you say you want a revolution, well you know, we all want to change the world!…is keeping me awake at night!